The Learn to Sail (LTS) Program at the Beaufort Yacht and Sailing Club is a sailing school program offered to children of ages 8 and up. Our goal is to introduce the youth of our community to the joy that is sailing. We have developed our program based off of the renowned Canadian Yachting Associations and US Sailing LTS programs, improving and adapting them to meet our local requirements.
The program has been refined over many years, allowing students to develop from novices through to well-versed young sailors who compete on the local and national regatta circuit with much success. We follow a strict curriculum guide, providing consistency across all levels with positive feedback to the students in order to improve their skills.
With a focus on time in the boat, sailing theory, and most importantly having fun, we aim to have each of our students as in love with sailing as we are!
Follow the links below for details on each level we offer and when the sessions are. We hope to see you this summer! Get hooked on the joy of sailing.
- Campers: Children ages 8 through high school
- Sailboats: Sunfish, Optimist, 420, Laser, O’Pen BIC, S2 Keelboat
- Location: Beaufort Yacht and Sailing Club, Beaufort, South Carolina
- Camp Activities: SAILING! And water activities like paddle boarding, kayaking, swimming, and camp games
- Times: Monday – Friday, 9 am to 4 pm
- Level 1 Introduction to Sailing – This 1 week class is for beginners that have never sailed before or sailors that have not sailed since camp last year and need a refresher.
- Level 2 Dinghy Sailing – this 2 week class helps sailors build on the basics learned in Introduction to Sailing to take on sailing solo in Optimists, Lasers and O’Pen BICs.
- Level 3 Advanced Dinghy Sailing – This 2 week class builds on skills from Level 2 while offering the opportunity of Single or Double Handed Sailing for advanced sailors.
- Learn to Race – Want to learn to race? This 4 day course, offered at the conclusion of the summer program, teaches the basic concepts for sailboat racing including starts, tactics, and rules which can be applied to boats of any size. Learn to Race is available for any students who have successfully completed Level 2 or Level 3 of the program.
- Race Team – Join South Carolina’s dominant race team for advanced coaching and racing! Our race team program lasts through all 5 weeks of camp and continues with racing and coaching throughout the year.
Not sure what level is right for you? Contact us for placement help.